Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fishing for Blue Cod

Glen with a nice beauty

I had the opportunity to go fishing for Blue Cod with my mate Glen. He owns a 10ft long rubber raft with a 30hrs pwr motor on back. Glen backed the raft up to the beach and we dragged it to the edge of the surf. We had to time it just right to we wouldn't get crushed by the waves. After an intense first 5 min we were past the surf break and out in the open sea. We got to this island within 10 min and started fishing. It was similar to deep sea fishing for red snapper, except we were catching fish instantly. We caught 25 blue cod within 1 hr. We had to go in early because the weather got "hairy." This was definitely one of my favorite days in NZ.
15 Blue Cod

White Island

Some "not to shabby" scenery behind us

I kept telling Glen that everyone back home wouldn't believe how quickly we were catching fish, and he said "Well I'll take if video of ya mate" and so this is it. I like this video because you get to really see how quick the fish would strike and because you get to hear Glen comment on the action.

0 comments: